I’ve written many, many times on the importance of communication. However, I never grow tired of learning, or relearning, phrases that spur a positive organizational culture while motivating employees.
For example, Elle Kaplan, CEO of Lexion Capital Management, lists eight things “exceptional bosses” tell their employees – regularly – even daily. She writes that bosses that use these phrases will not only see more employee engagement, but they will see their own success skyrocket.
Her phrases include:
1. “I have total confidence in you.” In other words, hire the best and let them do their jobs. Don’t micromanage.
2. “This is what I want us to accomplish.” Make sure your team knows the big picture and how they fit into it.
3. “What can we do better next time?” Instead of reprimanding someone for a mistake, use it as teaching opportunity.
4. “I want to play to your strengths.” Everyone has strengths and special skills – use them.
5. “What is your opinion?” Show your employees that you value them.
6. “How can I better support you?” If you are a servant-leader, your employees will return the favor.
7. “Let me know if you have any questions.” Have an open-door policy.
8. “Good work.” Letting someone know that you care about their work goes a long way.
Motivating our teams begins with the words we say. While some of these phrases may come naturally, others might take some practice. I encourage the practice, because satisfied and motivated employees will only benefit you and your company.
Follow me on Twitter (@BDanBerger).